15 May 2012

Fresh pineapple granita.





I love a good granita. And boy is this pineapple one a GOOD one.

When we lived in France, many moons ago, I would often make a ruby grapefruit granita. It was the most delicate pink colour  and looked ever so pretty!!
Not only were the delicate, pink crystals pretty to look at but they were a regal to eat.

Cold and refreshing just what you need when the mercury begins to rise.

Here we have an abundance of fresh, sweet pineapples. But lately my girls are on a pineapple overload.  I decided to try something new to tease their taste buds and get them eating them again.

My grapefruit granita came to mind, so I decided to give it a shot with the ever so ripe pineapples I had sitting in the fruit bowl.

This granita is not only a beautiful yellow but it is bursting with flavour, you'll be running back for more. I think a grown up version with a good shot vodka or malibu could be nice (very nice) too. 


I started with 2 pineapples which I peeled and cubed. I ate the middle pieces of the pineapples - I couldn't resist.






I then whizzed it in the food processor until I was left with a pineapple foam. If you have a juice extractor, you could use this and skip the sieving process




I strained the pineapple mixture by pressing it with the back of a spoon through a sieve. You see, I have a husband who detests anything with fibres in. If it was just for me, I think I would just skip this step because the fibres were really minimum - but I'm sure it was enough to leave my hubby gagging.

 That took all of a few minutes.

I then made a small quantity of sugar syrup. I just eyed the quantities. I ended up with about 3 Tbsp of syrup which I mixed into the strained pineapple juice.

Place in the freezer and remove to mix with a fork ever 30 minutes or so until you have beautiful golden crystals


No comments:

Post a Comment