29 September 2011

The build - France

Things are on the move again. If any of you have been to France during the months of July/August, you'll know that almost everywhere and everyone goes away for their summer holidays.
Already its a mission to get things done 'en temps normal' ( ouch, sorry Frenchies, but its so true and its not just the british side of me rearing its ugly face!)

Doing a build is by no ways an easy thing to do. Add to that being situated on the other side of the world and I think you'll get the picture.  My problem is.... I can't decide what I want, but I'm by hells SURE of what I don't want!!!!



We returned to France in July and I saw our house for the first time - Crazy, I know!! The girls were super excited and it was a time filled with emotion for Hubby and myself. I love the house, I love the land where its situated and I love my little family. I'm sure we'll be so happy here. The land is full of evergreen oak trees and little crickets are abuzz, all you hear is crik,crik,crik. The ground is cushioned with miniture wild thyme and each step wakes up the senses. I feel like I'm in Provence when I'm there. Thats what we fell in love with, its wild, charming beauty.

The house is a beast, a beautiful beast. After living in Hong Kong in our cramped apartment it feels enormous. But hey, space is good.



This is the view from our kitchen leading to the terrace and into 'provence'.



While we were there we chose the tiles for the girls bathroom, bathroom fixtures and tiles for the upstairs landing. We wanted something rustic for the landing so we went with these 'terre cuite'


They'll be oiled and because its not a high traffic area, I think these little babies will do just fine. The bedrooms will have wooden floors.
Down stairs all of the flooring is large 60cm x 90cm slabs of travertine.


Since 2 weeks the artisans are back on site. Last week the one artisan started to smother the red,earthy bricks with our chosen crepi.  Now, choosing the crepi is definately not easy. The samples they show you in shops are tiny 2cm x 2cm squares - call it mission impossible. So after lots of umming and ahhing, the decision had to be made and now the balls are rolling so fingers crossed!!

More updates to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment