7 September 2011

End of summer+rain = mushrooms

The question thats always on our lips after a few rain storms and summer is drawing to an end is....

Do you think there's any mushrooms????

I remember my first visit to France (16 years ago) and our first mushroom 'expedition'. I call it this because for a foreigner, well a non french person who hadn't been brought up with foraging for mushrooms, this is what it felt like. I was in for quite a surprise and work out. I didn't know what all the hype was about and trekking hours through forests, when you don't really know what you're looking for was a bit much. I thought they were a bit loopy!
Add to that the secrecy of everything, I really did ask myself  'What kind of family is this?'
When I was younger I was always told never and I mean never to eat any mushrooms you find growing in the wild. So after having this drummed into you, you're weary of eating bright orange mushrooms. So I found all this a bit pointless as I knew I wouldn't taste them.
That first time, I didn't eat any. I watched them all degust every single bite and assure me that they were 'good' mushrooms. I thought if something went wrong, I'd be in the state of mind to get help.

The next day everyone woke up and everyone was healthy so I tried them and since that day theres been no looking back.

I too now have this so called mushroom virus!
Once you taste these little beauties, you'll be hooked.

These are the girolles or chanterelles  that we found one week before coming back to Hong Kong.
Yes, we ate them all, not all at once, but I think we could have!







No comments:

Post a Comment