1 June 2011

Spices

Last night while making a prawn,sweet potato and coconut curry, I noticed that we were running low on curry powder. So I thought I'd take a trip to The Indian Provision Store in Causeway Bay.

So today, off we went. Its so hot and humid, so its always a welcome sight to see bus 69X to Causeway Bay. You have to know where this place is to find it as its not exactly in the most frequented place of Hong Kong.
I'd started regretting wearing my long white linen trousers as I approched the shop door. The entrance reminds me of most of the shops in China with the long , segmented sheets of thick plastic acting as a door and giving such a warm welcome.

If its fancy packaging and music playing in the backgroung your looking for, you won't find it here.
But I look past all that because inside its spice paradise and its as cheap as chips!!! Spices are packed into plastic bags and are cram packed on the shelves. They also sell all the different lentils for your dals and 5kg bags of basmati rice. The rice is delicious!


I took a bag of cardamon and curry powder for myself and a few extra things to take back to France in July for Alexs mom. The bags of spices are really big so I just empty them into my empty jars of bonne maman jam. For the 2 bags of curry, 1 bag of tumeric, a bag of cardamon, a bag of whole nutmeg and cinnamon sticks. Oh and a pack of thai aromats.
All this came to the grand total of.... 7 euros - bargain.




At our supermarket up the road, I pay almost that just for two normal size spices.

No comments:

Post a Comment