1 November 2011

Exercise. Love it or loath it!!

After putting it off for way too long add to that our recent trip to Macau with all the overindulgences, excesses and seeing me in my bikini with my TUMMY...... Sunday morning I woke up and told Alex that I was going out for a run.
He rubbbed his eyes in disbelief as I think he thought he was still sleeping. What, Stacey actually wanting to do some form of exercise??

My hands scurried to the back of my cupboard and I pulled out my leggings and a t-shirt. Dusted off my trainers and I was ready to go.

I started, it felt good.  Ah it wasn't too bad after all. It was early about sevenish so not many people out. I ran down to the little park in front of our residence.  After about 10 minutes I was puffing and snorting and thinking to myself that  this is so not glamourous. How come when I see people jogging they make it look so effortless.
I on the other hand made it look everything but effortless. I had to stop running  to catch my breath and give my little legs a break.  I started a fast paced walk.
I was sure my face was going to be redder than red as my head felt like it wanted to just explode off my shoulders. All this while gasping for air.

Got home, jumped in the shower and this red head just didn't want to go. I felt the aches in my muscles I didn't know I had and I felt like crap. Where's the energy burst you feel after exercising? I felt more tired than when I started.

I lay on the bed, it felt good. I relaxed, it felt even better.

Alex came in and I told him how crappy and tired I felt. He asked ' but when last did you jog?' But in a way like you know you've never jogged, so this is normal.
Its been 18 years since I last jogged, I answered. I sat up, shocked. What 18 years, no that can't be right! Done a quick count in head and fingers,  I was right, 18 long years.
I went on explaining that I'm 33 and when I say I'm 33 years old, its ok, doesn't feel so bad (old). But now that I've said that I haven't run since 18 years, yikes, 18 frikken years is one hell of a long time!

The day went on and I was seriously aching from the stomach down to my ankles. I felt better and the feel good factor kicked in early afternoon.

Monday Olivia was still off , so I went to the gym in our residence and Olivia played in the games room. There was a guy on a stepper thingy and an old chinese lady on this pedal bike thingy. I opted for the old lady and the pedal bike next to her.
Now I'm no gym bunny and all of these machines intimidate the heck out of me. So I sat down, pressed on start, nothing.
Asked the old lady but of course she didn't understand.
I started frantically pressing all the buttons, nothing. She then calls me and makes a circular movement with her hands. Ah ok, pedal first et voila. Lights start flashing, I put it on cross country and we're off. The music is fast paced, so it helps. While pedalling away I was thinking why did I come to sit next to the old lady?? Maybe less intimidating next to an old lady or maybe she made it look easy??      

20% done, 30% done, 50% done. My legs are seriously burning but I'm no way getting off this bike before that little old lady, hell no!! The song 'I will survive' comes on, how appropriate, so I pedal faster, she stops. I breath a sigh of relief.  But can't stop just after her so I pedal.
She gets up and.....takes her walking stick and goes for a drink. What the hell, I couldn't believe it and I had to chuckle to myself.
Got to 80% done then I got off, just prayed that my legs wouldn't cave in. They didn't but I did feel a little wobbly on them. The little old lady was still going strong. Pumping iron, well one little bar of iron, but she was still pumping it.

Tuesday , I went out jogging. Olivia took her scooter and she thought it would be good to be the trainer. After reminding me that its been a long time since she's seen me wear my trainers and that I looked kind of funny - nothing like the truth from the mouths of babes to motivate!!
More people were out today, it was sunny and too hot. When I slowed down, Olivia would shout 'mama jog' so I'd up the pace.

So far so good. I'm feeling better and motivated. I haven't attacked the halloween stash of the girls and to be honest, I don't want to.

Today is Wednesday and Olivia is back to school, so I guess I'll hit the gym and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment