5 November 2011

Guy Fawks

Its bonfire night tonight. Its been years since I've celebrated Guy Fawkes so I think its about time I introduce this English custom/celebration to my two little girls.

Remember, remember the 5th of November.
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
should ever be forgot.

I remember going down to the bonfire with my dad when I was a little girl. Wrapped up, to be snug as a bug. The thrill of having my own sparkler, with the fear that the sparks might burn me.

Throwing a few potatoes into the fire and then my dad scraping them out with a stick. Peeling back the burnt skin to reveal the hotter than hot floury potato.

Watching the 'guy' being set alight in the middle of the fire and then the fun and awe of watching the different coloured fireworks light up the dark and chilly night sky.

Happy 5th of November!

No comments:

Post a Comment